Followers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Remember the Gift Giver

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,

and comes down from the Father of lights,

with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning (James 1:17, NKJV).

Ever open a gift you weren’t exactly thrilled to receive? You smiled and thanked the giver, all the time wondering if you might find a discreet way to return or exchange it—or at the least not have to put it on display in your home. At other times, however, you received that gift that was not only good but perfect. What a joy! That happened to me in the last few days.

Though I have also received a couple of major honors for one of my books (which is always welcome!), the most perfect gift I received was hearing from a man who knows the parents of Li Ying, whose imprisonment in China for her faith inspired the writing of Red Ink. This man has offered to get a copy of the book to Li Ying’s parents, who will then be able to let Li Ying know about it, as well as the awards it has garnered.

From the beginning of this project I prayed that one day (before heaven) Li Ying would know that I have been so inspired by her faithfulness to Christ that I wrote a story based on her own. I knew there was no way in the natural for me to get word to her, but I knew God could if that was His desire and purpose. Apparently it was because word is now winging its way to a tiny, dark prison cell on the other side of the world. I pray it will bring light and joy and encouragement to a courageous soldier of Christ.

You all have received gifts like that too, haven’t you? You knew when they landed in your lap that they could have come from no one but the Father Himself. Perhaps today would be a good day to reflect on those “good” and “perfect” gifts and to offer fresh praise to the “good” and “perfect” Gift Giver who loves you so completely and unconditionally that He would make a point to remind you of that love through a very special offering. I am still rejoicing over my most recent gift. May I never lose sight of or cease to appreciate the One who sent it!

No comments:

Post a Comment