Followers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

We are under attack!

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand (Ephesians 6:12-13).

We recently observed the nine-year anniversary of September 11, 2001, a morning eerily reminiscent of December 7, 1941, a “day of infamy” that caught Americans by surprise and ended the lives of many of our citizens. Each tragic event thrust us into a war to defend our sovereignty, our families, and our futures.
I was up early that September morning. When I turned on my computer and checked my emails, the first message I saw was from my husband at work. “A plane has flown into one of the Twin Towers in New York,” he wrote. “Turn on the news.” I did, and it wasn’t long until I watched in horror as a second plane purposely flew into the second tower. “We’re under attack,” I said aloud, as realization hit me.
I immediately dropped to my knees and began to intercede for our country in general and for those trapped in the burning towers in particular. As a believer, I knew enough to realize that though this event would no doubt precipitate a response in the physical world, my part was to wage war in the spiritual realm.
But isn’t that true every day? Thank God we don’t have 9-11 experiences on a regular basis, but not a day goes by that we aren’t under attack. We have an enemy more formidable than any who planned or executed the tragic attack on the World Trade Center, and this enemy never stops attacking. As surely as there is a God who loves us and desires His best for us, there is an enemy who works tirelessly to defeat us and keep us from stepping into God’s best. We must therefore remain vigilant all the time, never letting our guard down or relaxing in our defense of ourselves, our loved ones, or even those who would destroy us if they could and yet desperately need Jesus themselves.
May we stay focused and vigilant in fighting the enemy of our soul, even as we cling to the One who is the “Lover of our soul” and who has promised never to leave or forsake us. We do NOT fight this war alone or on our own, but shoulder-to-shoulder with the rest of God’s people, relying solely and completely on the strength of our Commander-in-Chief, the LORD of Hosts.
And one more thing: Read the end of the Book often, and then celebrate God’s promise of ultimate victory!

2 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head. Mind if I post this on FB?

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete